Thursday, June 24, 2010

ROAD TRIP - DAY #5 - Falling Into the Snake River

Splish, Splash, I was takin’ a bath in the SNAKE RIVER...thank God there weren’t any creatures in the immediate area for whom the river is named!  I fell with one leg immersed into the Snake River right after taking a beautiful photo of my son, NT, and his cousin, V. I bent down on one knee on a rickety old fishing dock that had larger spaces between every 5 planks.  As I was getting up, I moved my right foot back slightly, and it slipped between the planks.  My right leg, up to my mid-thigh, sank into the murky, algae infested waters, but thankfully no break!  I was in shock a bit, but was able to walk back to my van with assistance.  My emergency first aid kit isn’t used often, but I was thankful it was fully stocked with Ibuprofen, ice packs, and antiseptic ointment for minor cuts.


I shouldn’t even been on that rickety fishing dock with the kids; an accident waiting to happen!  In the distance, behind the photos of the river, you can view “Lizard Rock” which looks like a big lizard, and one of the local churches holds a sunrise service every weekend there.

Before falling into the Snake River, we drove up a road to view the Snake River as it winds its way through lush, vibrant green farmlands.  
Afterwards, we took the kids to a fabulous park in Meridian called “Settlers Park.”  It  was built with faux rock climbing walls, water features for cooling off, percussion type instruments, and more!  They loved running through the cooling water, as we were dry and parched after a long, hot drive through the countryside.
Apparently, Settlers Park hosts “movie night” every Friday at approx. 9:30pm (the sun goes down at 10pm here in the summer), and a concession stands sells treats for the families who attend.  Moviegoers bring blankets and chairs to sit on the grass, as the movie is shown from a portable large movie screen.  Fun!


My leg was fine, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to take my ‘Jeet Kun Do’ class with instructor Eric Boucher.  I was thrilled to be taking a martial arts class and get some cardio kick boxing into my schedule to burn off all of the chocolate I’d been consuming.